Pages

Thursday

Issue #17: Are There Really Bad Ideas?

October 30, 2008

Welcome back,
It is time to take a minute and get away from all the stresses in your day. I would like to share with a few ideas I have been thinking about in terms of advertising and marketing this past week.
Upside to the Downside
I am launching a new weight loss business. I am proof that it works. For you it’s free. No pills, no special food, just two little things that you have in your house right now. Take a magnet and your last stock portfolio statement from your investment firm. Hang it on the fridge door.
I am down 10 pounds and took 4 years off retirement.
The Truth
I have finally met a man who had all the right answers for successful advertising and marketing. He was a Price Checker at The Dollar Store.
It’s Not Easy Being Green
Have you wondered how much paper waste the Liberal “Green Shift Program” created?
Good One Idiot
Who thought that white underwear for men was a good idea?
Ubiquitous Devices for Dummies
I dropped my Blackberry the other day. Now I can’t send email or text. I can't
check where I supposed to be and what I was to do when I got there.
I can’t make a phone call or take a picture.
I can’t surf the net, listen to music and I’m lost without GPS.
Sometimes in desperation there is inspiration. As I gazed down at the several broken pieces of black plastic, wires, and chips of my Blackberry,
I coined a new business phrase;
“I think that I just “Helen Kellered” myself.”
(Younger readers, Google Helen Keller, then you’ll get it).
Yellow Pages
I am sure that Yellow Pages has very nice people working there, but I haven't met them. Do they hire people from the Teamsters Union to sell this stuff?
I handled some negotiations this week on behalf of a few clients.
Yellow Pages is not an advertising vehicle in the 21st Century. It is a reference book for phone numbers. Spend accordingly.
The Hook, The Offer, The Point, The Promise
In the above topics I have attempted to entertain and amuse you in order that you would continue reading. It’s called “the hook”. A hook is used to draw attention to “the goal” or the “offer” in the advertising.
The offer still must be relevant to your target consumer and presented in an imaginative fashion and delivered with consistency and repetition.
…So I repeat;
“Ad Avoidance is really Uninspired Ad Avoidance.”
“Advertising is simply a Promise of Performance. Waste occurs when the performance of the advertiser does not live up to the promise in the eyes of a customer”.
CAB Convention in Ottawa.
I hope to visit with many of you in town next week. Hopefully the snow will be gone.
The Book: The Progressive Procrastinator
I bought it a year ago, haven't read it yet.
"Here til Thursday try the meatloaf."

Stay in a good mood,
Brad