Pages

Friday

Issue #30 Swimming in Crap

February 27, 2009


In an August 2008 Wall Street Journal interview, Michael Phelps’ agent was quoted saying that his client could earn over 100 million dollars in endorsement and sponsorship deals over his life time.
This week, A Toronto-based company was the latest to cancel an event with Phelps. Power Within, Inc. had scheduled the 23-year-old swimmer to speak at events in Calgary and Vancouver.
Advertising Age reported he has lost at least one sponsor (Kellogg)because of his encounter with a marijuana pipe.

MSM: I am very concerned for Michael. Who can live on less than 100 million?
I don’t want his Olympic accomplishments diminished just because he couldn’t wait and get into the privacy of his own home to…relax.
So good reader, be assured that The Moodswing Minute has taken action and contacted another national client to take on young Michael as their new spokesperson and thereby recovering the lost endorsement money from Kellogg. Michael is committed to this new client as seen here preparing and practicing for his new role.


But seriously, when does the person end and the brand begin. There are various opinions. But one would assume that if you “sell” your name and image for a price, common sense dictates that there is an expectation of behavior from the company paying you that enhances their product brand and credibility. Let alone that you don’t embarrass or drag their company through the tabloids. I would love to get your opinion on endorsements and invite you to leave a comment.
I miss the 80s. Those were the simple times in the world. Business was different and done with integrity. The celebrities knew how to act and conduct themselves as professionals. Embarrassing their employer was unthinkable.

"I don't think we'll ever move definitively away from celebrity endorsers," says David Reeder, vice president of GreenLight, L.A. "They're powerful in the way they draw consumers to a brand. [But] brands will have to be more circumspect with the choices they make."
Indeed, Reeder's company measured advertising during the 2009 Grammy Awards and discovered that only 7% of the television spots that aired during the broadcast featured celebrity endorsements--down from 13% in 2008 and 21% in 2007.

Courtesy: Aaron Baar, From The Media Daily Post, New York.

MSM: YOU are the brand of your company. If you work for a large organization or have your own business, each customer will create in their minds the image and culture of the entire company based on a single interaction. For example: You have just met one person from IBM. That person comes across arrogant and disinterested. The perception created in that one customer’s mind is that IBM must train all of their people to conduct business in that fashion. (Which is not true).
YOU are the product. Your direct competitors have basically the identical product line up as you be it under different product names. The only difference between their company or store is YOU.
YOU
convey the culture, the commitment the attitude of your company or employer. I basically do the same thing that I have done for 25 years, but instead of working or representing someone else, I represent my own company Moodswing Media inc. But still, I am thinking about having a meeting with myself this afternoon, I am not happy with my performance, I am considering downsizing and may have to lay myself off. I have noticed as well that my attitude lately is not where I need it to be. I might send myself home early in order to think about my role within the company and whether I can change and rise to the company’s expectation of myself. I plan to talk to me on Monday. I better let my family know that it might not go well. But I better be careful, if I don’t have all my paperwork in order, I might be able to sue myself over unjust dismissal. The lawyer fees on both sides will kill me, so I would need a large settlement to pay myself. Who knew that running a business would be so difficult?
Stress Costs. Smiles are Free. I thought that I would leave you this week with some free market advice:
You know you’re in a recession when:
· You brag about your new Apple, then go home and eat it
· The census taker rolls a quarter down your block, and counts half the neighborhood
· Your weekend home looks remarkably like your weekday home…which looks like your parents’ home
· Your knobby knees are the only heirlooms you have left.

Stay in a good Mood.
Brad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to wonder if celebrity endorsement is worth the risk anymore. A car dealership here signed up Kerry Joseph just after he won the Grey Cup, then he got traded to Toronto!

I agree with Brad, the celebrity you can count on is You!